Thursday, January 15, 2009

Can I stop Outlook from asking me for my password when connecting to the Exchange Server?

It is possible to save your password in Outlook 2003 and 2007. You must be running on Windows XP or Vista (any edition except Windows Home).

Note: These steps do not work when you have Outlook configured to use RPC over HTTP. For instructions on how to save your password using RPC over HTTP, please see KB Article 1399.

Here are the steps you need to take:

1. Open the Windows Key Manager:
* Click Start > Run
* Type "control keymgr.dll"
* Click OK, then Add
* Enter your Server Name. It can be found in HostPilot > Get Started > Advanced Settings under Exchange Server.
* Enter your domain\username as a user name instead of the mailbox address:
What is my User Name and Primary Email Address for my Exchange mailbox?
What is my Exchange Domain?
* Enter your mailbox password
* Click OK and then Close
2. Open Outlook:
* Choose a Outlook profile (if there are more than one) and click Ok.
* Enter your domain\username as a user name instead of the mailbox address:
What is my User Name and Primary Email Address for my Exchange mailbox?
What is my Exchange Domain?
* Check the box "Save the Password"
3. Close Outlook after login is complete
4. Launch Outlook again
5. When prompted for your password, click Remember Password
6. Close Outlook
7. Launch Outlook - This time you should not be prompted for your password.

No comments: